Monday, September 28, 2009

Lord Save Us From Your Followers

I've been hearing about this documentary for about a year now, and I've been excited to see it since. If it came to the NYC area, I missed it, and have to wait.

If you've not heard about this, here's a brief primer:

From Church Marketing Sucks:

Maybe I was afraid it'd be just another apology, maybe I was afraid it would just plain stink, ... but I wasn't so excited going in to it.

But the actual film put any of my worries to rest.

If you're not familiar with the movie, I'll give you a quick synopsis. A pastor from Portland puts on a white suit with tons of religious bumper stickers and magnetic fish, then he heads across the country interviewing people about their perception of Christianity and Christ.

Pastor Dan Merchant does his share of hilarious finger-pointing at mind-numbingly absurd efforts by the church. But even better, he tells the moving stories of churches that are healing wounds, loving the unlovable and truly making a difference.

It's the type of movie that will leave you reflecting on your own faith and positions and challenge you to make changes for the better. And not just that, it's the type of movie you can bring friends to who wouldn't normally step foot into a church. Afterwards, you'll probably have conversations you never thought were possible.

Other interesting perspectives from the blogosphere: From the search, and from Jason Boyett also here,

Check out these two you tube previews here. Some footage overlaps.



No comments: