Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Dark Knight & Movie Scores

For those of you (my usual readership of 1 has skyrocketed to 2 now that I have cross posted these to facebook, so I can now refer to "you" in the plural!) who have been living under a rock for the past few months, the 2nd installment of Christopher Nolan's interpretation of Batman hits the screens tomorrow. I have my IMAX tickets in hand, and will be there on Friday to see the movie. Unfortunately I rarely get to the cinema anymore, probably more a function of my sheer laziness than the quality (or lack thereof) of hollywood media.

Anyway the buzz regarding this movie is sky high, and my expectations are nothing short of "best movie of the summer". What's even better is that the movie score for this movie is supposed to be incredible.

Backing up a minute, let me explain that I love movie scores. I should probably devote another post to this, but in short, here are my top 5:

1. The Mission (Ennio Morricone)
2. Last of the Mohicans (Trevor Jones & Randy Edelman)
3. Braveheart (James Horner)
4. Transformers (Steve Jablonsky)
5. Truman Show (Philip Glass)
Honorable mentions: Glory (Horner), 1492 (Vangelis), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (??), Dragon--The Bruce Lee Story (??)...and the list goes on.

Even though my top few don't include Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard, they are two of the best in the business. Zimmer's includes such masterpieces as Gladiator and Pirates of the Carribbean, while Howard is famous for all of Shyamalan's movie scores. Other than John Williams (Star Wars, Jaws, etc), these two are the big boys in the movie score industry.

Apparently they collaborated for Batman Begins, but me being the retard I am, didn't know. So I now have to go check out two new scores.

No comments: